BUY BETTER, CHOOSE WELL, MAKE IT LAST
#ShopEthicalInstead is your ethical and sustainable shopping guide – helping you buy better. Choose products made well, designed to last a lifetime, to make your wardrobe, home and lifestyle more eco-friendly.
In 2017, sustainability writer & influencer Sian Conway-Wood started the #ShopEthicalInstead hashtag as a positive alternative to Black Friday.
As founder of #EthicalHour, Sian unites a community of over 66,000 people and brands putting people and planet first. She has launched, grown and supported over 700 independent ethical brands as an ethical marketing and communications specialist.
Independent small businesses make up to 80% of their revenue in Q4 thanks to holiday shopping – but every year they have to battle against global corporations with huge advertising budgets, and a sea of greenwashing. Witnessing their frustration, Sian started #ShopEthicalInstead to:
- Make ethical & sustainable shopping easier
- Support small businesses with a Big Why
- Turn the commercial noise of Black Friday into a force for good
#ShopEthicalInstead made it much easier to find presents from small businesses this year. It felt important to support them through the pandemic, and #ShopEthicalInstead made it easy to do!
Why does it matter?
- 1 in 10 shoppers don’t use their Black Friday purchases
- In 2017, $90 billion of gifts were returned to retailers, many of which end up in landfill
- During Black Friday and Cyber Monday, air pollution spikes with more delivery vans on roads
- 54% of shoppers feel stressed, anxious and argumentative when Christmas shopping
- Black Friday increases waste, pollution, mindless consumption & exploitation in supply chains
But there can be a better way…
#ShopEthicalInstead is creating a global online movement to elevate independent ethical & sustainable brands and connect them with conscious consumers.
How do we do it?
- #ShopEthicalInstead hashtag for brands to promote their products and tell their story, and for shoppers to ask for product recommendations
- Social media challenge – designed by marketers, to help brands tell their story, share their impact and showcase their products throughout November in the run up to Black Friday
- Gift guides and shopping guides – featuring curated collections of ethical & sustainable products from independent brands
- Advent calendar – Introduced in 2020, showcasing a different independent, ethical brand every day in the run up to Christmas
- Virtual High Street – 5 days of live streaming shopping events to showcase small ethical businesses to a global audience
What impact has it had?
In 2019, the average CPM (Every time an ad receives 1,000 impressions) on Facebook ads across all industries was $11.20. Based on this figure, a brand would have had to spend around $5,549.87, to achieve the total reach of the #ShopEthicalInstead hashtag in November 2019 Including the reach of the shopping livestreams, a brand would have to spend around $5,623.63.
In September 2020, the average CPM (Every time an ad receives 1,000 impressions) on Facebook ads across all industries was $12.59. Based on this figure, a brand would have had to spend around $21,403, to achieve the total reach of the #ShopEthicalInstead hashtag in November and December 2020.